Thursday, February 12, 2009

New Year's Eve In Madrid: The last day of '08

I arrived in Madrid where it had begun and where it was to come to a close as well. I'd explored the city a little looking for a bite to eat before I had to go back to the airport and wait. It was in the airport I'd spent my New Year's Eve as I was to be on a flight the next morning at 7am to head back to Cleveland. I'd talked with my mom in the early stages of my trip somewhere in Dublin after I'd found out that there was to be a problem storing my extra luggage in Madrid's airport as they only allowed storage for an alotted 15 days before they charged more then you would pay to ship it back to the states. So because of this my mom and I worked secretly and diligently to rearrange all of my flights and save myself some money to be able to come home ten days early, hence why I was sitting at the Madrid airport partying by myself rather then out in the streets where everyone else was. After staying up almost all night talking with another woman who was to be leaving on the same flight as myself but her final stop was in London where I was to be boarding British Airways to London, the London to Heathrow (Chicago) and United Airlines Chicago to Cleveland where my mother and father where only two of three people that knew I'd be arriving ten days earlier then scheduled. I'd even called my family that evening from the airport to wish them a Happy New Year's telling both my brothers and my best friend that I was waiting to go to Germany surprised that they took the bait so easily. The next day came and I took my coordinating flights while my mother waited anxiously for my arrival. And as the final plane landed in Cleveland I'd called my mom to let her know I'd be on my way to baggage within moments and she readied the camera as my brothers, Omi, and best friend had all come to the airport with the thought that they were picking up my very good college friend Anh. So as I walked out of the gate with all the other passengers arriving all four stared at me for small periods of times before Omi screamed drawing all attention to her while mom caught the whole thing on camera.

I spent the ten days of a wonderful break with friends as well as surprising various family members. It started with a visit to MUC where I went to see the real Anh and surprised Keiko. Afterwards we took a short visit to Kent where Chad reacted rather cooly and Chad like and Jackie gasped and gave me a huge hug making a wonderful welcome home. After them came my Papa Chuck, Uncle Todd, Aunt Sue and Uncle Don. First we stopped in at Papa Chucks where he was surprised to find me standing behind my mom and Carlos but greeted me with a huge smile and a welcome back. Uncle Todd was then called out and he hugged me several times in order to make sure I wasn't translucent or something. After a pleasent chat with them we went over to Aunt Sue's who spoiled the surprise as she saw me through her window but Uncle Don was pleasently surprised to see me as well. The finals of the surprises were to come at Sam's basketball game that Tuesday but Monday evening while I was making dinner Aunt Susie came for a surprise visit and as I hid in the bathroom waiting mom grabbed the camera and positioned it to capture the moment on camera. As I came out her reaction was not what we'd been expecting as she didn't even register it at first but it was commical none the less. And jake couldn't stop hugging me all evening. That same evening we went to pick up Sam from practice as the final of the surprises. She had a huge grin on her face as she ran to hug me. It was great to be able to see everyone once more and say hello and goodbye as that weekend I left once more for Puebla Mexico where I sit catching up on all my adventures and thinking about all the wonderful memories I've made thus far and how many more there are to come.

No comments: