Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Dutch Days: The beginning December 27, 2008

I made it to Holland relatively quickly, landing in Eindhoven. From there I took a bus from the airport the train station so that I could hop on a train and head to Ede to meet with the Glover family. I soon found myself at the Ede train station relatively early with little way to contact the Glover family as I'd lost the number somewhere along the way there. I tried several times on the rediculous cell phone as well as a pay phone to contact them and let them know I had arrived but the Dutch pay phones are either very complicated or I'm just not all that pay phone saavy as I failed several times before I was finally able to leave a voice mail message on Matt's phone. It wasn't soon before long that Matt Glover arrived at the station to pick me up and we headed back to their house where I met his wife Winnie and his two adorable sons Mark-Jan, and Tim. After a little while Grandma came to pick up tim who would be staying with her for the weekend. After Tim and Grandma left winnie and I went out to see the large weekend street market where all sorts of fresh fruit and vegetables as well as goodies were being put up for sale. It was here I tried a fried fish dish with a dutch version of tarter sauce that was really sweet but delicious. After we walked around a little more picking up some items for dinner and the kittie before heading back home to enjoy what's called "hot pot" and wine. It was a fun and delicious make it yourself dinner where you selected meats and veggies sticking it in the fun dishes over a a small movable frier like thing which I have no way to describe. It was a long and enjoyable dinner before bed.

No comments: