Thursday, February 12, 2009

Dutch Days 2: December 28,2008

That morning we woke up relatively early and decided to take a trip to the open air museum where I learned a lot of the history and culture of the Dutch. In the open air museum we went and watched a movie that talked a lot about history in this large egg like dome that moved. It was well presented and very interesting to experience. Afterwards we walked around looking at all the different stages of old Dutch life including the farming, housing, cooking etc. We took a few rides on the train, ate delicious pancakes for lunch, played on the playground for a little while. I also got to experience an old fashioned Dutch way of cooking by making what appeared to be some sort of friend porage with molases on top. It was here I was adorned in an old red and white apron and sat at an old fashioned Dutch oven with a large frying pan and spatula like thing wowing the crowd with my amazing cooking skills. Wowing is a bit of an over statement but I don't think anyone thought I knew what I was doing till they saw me in action. Afterwards we found a gigantic windmill adorned with large slide where we went "sled riding." As there was no snow we just slid down the slide with rubber tubes. As the day was drawing to a close the last thing we did was to go ice skating and it was here I got to share in the experience of teaching Mark-Jan how to ice skate. It took a minute for me to get my feet back as it'd been so long since I'd last gone ice skating but it was a glossy finish to a wonderfully spent day.

No comments: