Monday, March 23, 2009

Random Week of Puebla: I'm losing track of time

It was a few weeks ago that this happened at it was the beginning week for the internship in which I found out was not what I had been expecting nor what I thought had been promised to us. Two other girls, Liz and Ana work alongside myself at a center for cancer in children who can't afford treatment. The place is called "Una Nueva Esperanza" which means A New Hope in English and it's a very noble and worthwhile cause, it's just that the work we do there is more like volunteer work less like that of an internship. But I'll work my best to get the credits to transfer as without the internship I barely meet minimum requirements. The rest of the week was nothing much to talk about minus Sunday.

Sunday Liz, Morgan and I trecked to Cholula. Cholula is normally where the night life is at here, but we took a trip during the day to go visit a monumental piece of history. The pyramids of Cholula started in a narrow tunnel in which anyone much taller then myself would've found trouble venturing through. After emerging from the tunnel we found ourselves just outside the largest pyramids in volume in the world. It took a couple of hours of exploration and lots of stair climbing before we reached the top where there sat a gorgeous catholic church amongst the excavations. And down at the bottom we explored the excavated ruins learning about the history that once lived in said ruins. After some photos we left to grab a bite to eat and then head down to the zocalo of cholula where there was apparently some sort of celebration going on for carnaval in which they were shooting off old rifles and making all sorts of smoke and noise, as well as music, dancing, and a parade. After some ice cream and a little bit of the festivities we left to end a short but fulfilled week.

No comments: