Sunday, December 21, 2008

Winter Vacation, Trip of A Lifetime Pt. 1

Day One of the TRIP: Saying Goodbye

Saying goodbye is not an easy thing to do. And December 17, 2008 was a day of goodbyes. Earlier that evening we finished making the apartment all shiny and clean and as we took one last look around I think we could all agree that the place felt almost empty and there was going to be a spot in our hearts that would forever miss our second home. Which is exactly what it had become was a second home. It was then that we parted ways with the fourth roomy, Matt, who was headed to Pamplona while the rest of us were off to Madrid to say our own goodbyes to one another. I shed a fear tears as Matt and the gang had started to become like family over the time we’d spent together and even though there was the glimmer of hope called summer in which I will be able to see them once more, the several months that separate us are still painful none the less.

And so saddened Casi, Tom and I shut the door to 21 Segunda Espanola for the final time. Hailing a cab we made it just in time to the bus station to catch the 7pm bus to Madrid which would put us there at 1am, afterwards we made our way to the airport in order to figure out Casi’s flight details as she was set to leave that same morning at 6 am. She was heading back to Washington while I was headed off on my European tour. After another round of tear shedding and hugs we said goodbye to Casi leaving Tom and I to roam the airport and figure out the luggage situation and check in situations. Tom wasn’t scheduled to leave until the next day (the 18th) while I was set to head out to Dublin from Madrid at 11:30 in the morning. And flying with Ryan Air I was only allowed one piece of luggage before I had to start paying for each additional piece. So Tom and I stored my luggage (as well as his) running into one minimal problem along the way.

After sitting around for several more hours and chatting with Tom we too had to say goodbye as well as it was nearing check in and call time for my flight to Dublin. So Tom and I said goodbye as I went through security and he went on his way to his friends house in Madrid to wait for his own flight the next day. And so I was off and on my way to Dublin having had very little sleep.

I arrived at the Dublin airport and quickly caught a bus to the city center where my hostel was located, checked in and settled down grabbing a quick dinner before bed a preparing for the long day ahead.

No comments: